Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vote Vote Vote!


Hey there, I hope you know what today is! I mean, the writers of this blog have only been talking about it for months, here and here and here. So. I hope you went and voted, or are planning to. I did something I don't do ever - I woke up super early to go vote at 6:30. You know, when it was kind of still dark out. I NEVER wake up that early, unless I am absolutely forced to. Today, I did it willingly. That's how important this election is, and I wanted to be part of a history in the making. Whatever the results may be, we'll either have the first African-American President or the first woman Vice President. These are exciting times.

* Know your polling location, don't show up at the wrong place. Polls close at 8PM for NJ folks, 9PM for NY, so plenty of time to vote.

* But don't just vote for the sake of it. Know your candidates and where they stand on issues. There are also other races at stake too- Senate, House, Gov. Brush up on the local races and the candidates before you go.

* Record turnouts are being expected for this election, which is simultaneously exciting and interesting since the US isn't exactly known for high voter turnouts. For me, perhaps it was cause I was there at 6:30AM, but I was in-and-out in 5 minutes. For my manager, she waited in line for an hour and a half. Be prepared for the unexpected. Bring a book or two and expect to wait in line. Remember, history in the making!!!

* Don't ever tell me your vote doesn't matter, it does. You should be honored to exercise your right to be heard, don't waste it. Oh, and don't forget to collect your 'I Voted!' sticker (I forgot to ask for one...) and get your freebies!

So... Happy Election Day! The editors of Life in Boxes and friends will be gathering to watch the elections coverage unfold. FYI, elections results will start coming in at 6PM ET, when media outlets begin receiving vote counts from the state precincts with the earliest poll closing times. This will continue into 1AM ET, when the last states close their polls (ahem, Alaska, ahem). It's gonna be a long and exciting night. That's what she said.

0 comments: