Monday, December 31, 2007

[Feature] Here's to a new you, kid.


A tradition dating back to about 4000 years ago, celebrating the New Year and setting New Year’s Resolutions can be credited back to the Babylonians. While their most common resolution was said to be ‘returning borrowed farm equipment,’ the idea of using the new year as a benchmark to set new goals for bettering one’s life is something that has held steadfast over the years. Every year, around this time, people think about what they’d like to change in their lives, and set out to do so in the New Year.

In our modern day, the most common and popular New Year’s resolution is weight loss, or attaining/maintaining physical fitness and appearance. It’s hard to tell the percentage of people who actually end up achieving this goal, but it seems that just as easily as people set this resolution, they are likely to break it. It’s easy to get fired up for something in the beginning, only to have the lack of time, or resources, or energy get in the way of achieving it. But in the New Year, if weight loss is a resolution you are really serious about, then I really want to help you get there. Because there is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment, and accomplishment through hard work and discipline.

These rules I’ve listed here are not hard and set, so don’t dispute me on anything. It’s just some things I’ve picked up along the way in my own weight loss experience. And you should really consult a professional if you're looking for a scientific, methodical way of going about it. But alas, if you want a little push, or don't know where to start, keep some of these rules in mind.

1) Commitment.
This is the c-word that everyone seems to be afraid of. But really, unless you’re committed to making a change in your life and sticking through with it, you’re never going to see it happen. Everyday is full of tired excuses. Without a long-term commitment (the keywords here being long-term), you can say goodbye to your weight loss resolution in about, oh, 2 weeks. Read on if you’re serious.

2) Go public.
Here’s the thing. A lot of people don’t like admitting their flaws, or what they want to change about themselves. Maybe you’re embarrassed, or don’t want to be judged when it all falls through, or whatever. But honestly, the greatest resource you can have is accountability. No need to go around pronouncing to EVERYONE you know your grandiose plans, but divulging your resolution/goal to people you know and trust can be a really good thing. Because when people know you’re trying to lose weight, they’re less likely to pressure you into eating crap, eating late, or eating seconds. And encouragement from people you love? What a lovely thing.

3) Eat only when you’re hungry.
Let me drill this into your head. Binge eating, BAD. So even if you’re not eating an entire carton of Haagen Dazs ice cream in the middle of the night, eating more than you should is always a bad thing. Because at that point, you’re just emotionally eating. What do I mean by that? You know, when you’re eating because you’re bored, there’s food in front of you and/or lying around the house, you’re depressed/lonely, there’s nothing else to do. Basically, you shouldn’t be eating if you’re not hungry. It’s a really simple concept, but it’s hard to do. But it’s definitely doable. You just have to be really conscious about it.

4) Moderation is key.
Let me drill something else into your head. Moderation, GOOD. Once you learn this, and actually learn to apply it, everything else gets easier. With this rule, you can pretty much eat whatever you want. For reals. Cheesecake? Yum. Cheetos? Double yum. Fried anything? Triple yum. Don’t deny yourself anything. But know that satisfaction can come with a couple of bites and not finishing an entire plate of fries or an entire bag of Doritos. This is where rule #2 can come into play, you can always find people to share food with. Also tying in nicely here is rule #3, because when you practice moderation, you don’t have to worry about overeating and that god-awful feeling of being stuffed. Remember now, gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, as demonstrated here in this painting by Hieronymous Bosch.

5) Sometimes, you just have to pay.
Money, that is. Join a gym. Join a weight loss program. Sometimes you need a little kick in your bank account groin to really get going. Americans spend more than $30 billion dollars a year on diet/weight loss related products and services. I know you don’t want to be that sucker. But some things are worth paying for.

For example, gyms aren’t that cheap, so more likely than not, when you sign up for one, you’ll go. Or you’ll try really hard to, anyway. When I see the money NYSC takes from me every month, it makes me go. Most gyms also have personal trainers who know what they’re doing, and who can help you set reasonable and reachable goals.

This year, I also joined Weight Watchers for a little bit, to kick-start my weight loss goal. It was easier for me to do because I had a co-worker be my WW buddy. For me, I really needed an established program to get me on track and teach me about the rights and wrongs of eating and losing weight. And yes, when I saw the money WW took from me each month, it motivated me to shed the pounds week after week. I’m no longer on it cause I think I can do this on my own, but I really do recommend it to anyone. All the points-counting may seem daunting, but it’s really a lifestyle-changing program more than anything. Talk to me if you’re thinking about it.

6) Run Lola Run.
So the title comes from a really great German movie of the same name. I don’t need to go into detail about how beneficial getting exercise is. What I will say is that for all the excuses there are in the book to not go to the gym or play outside or whatever, being physically fit is the best gift you can give yourself. You can't just fix your eating habits and hope for the best; that's only doing half the work. This for me was the hardest part. And even now, I’d rather do a million other things than run on the treadmill or lift weights or do sit ups. But once you schedule regular exercise into your life, it just becomes easier to do. Start small, and build on it. Jogging, yoga, basketball, whatever floats your boat. It doesn’t always have to be as dreadful as going to the dentist. So put some cool tunes on your iPod, drink a little caffeine to get you going, and get moving already. Your body will thank you, and in more ways than one.

I hope this helps somewhat. Notice how I didn’t mention dieting at all. It’s because dieting just doesn’t work. Weight loss should be a life-altering commitment, not just a fad. Learning, applying, and maintaining healthy eating and exercise habits should be your ultimate goal rather than reaching a specific number on the scale. Good luck. And Happy 2008! Here's looking at you, kid.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're my hero

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

awesome encouraging post. here's to a fitter new year!

Unknown said...

i meant to say u weight like a feather.. So you have to eat more LOL hahaops

Jorge J said...

chocolate makes committing hard