Wednesday, December 12, 2007

[Mixtape] Pop Pop Pop!

I love pop music. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I mean, pop is a pretty general term, it encompasses everything from teeny bopper music to top 40 to pop-rock/pop-country/pop-alt. In my opinion there is nothing like good ol' 90s pop music (MMMMMBop/boy bands/old-school Britney anyone???), but here are some worth listening to at the moment.

Miley Cyrus - See You Again
If you're not a teeny bopper, you probably don't know who Miley Cyrus is. Chances are though, you know her alter-ego, Hannah Montana, the wildly popular Disney Channel program that has made her a household name. The sold-out tour has had parents scrambling for tickets, some going for as much as $1000s of dollars. CRAZY.

Anyways, I really like this catchy song. I mean it's obviously a song for a 14-year old. "The next time we hang out/I will redeem myself/My heart can rest till then/Woah, oh oh oh I / I can't wait to see you again." HAHA, I LOVE it.


Jordin Sparks - Tattoo
She may have won America's heart earlier this year, but winning American Idol doesn't always translate into instant stardom. Her debut album was the lowest selling album of all previous winners on the show. I don't like her, I don't like the boring video, but I really like this song. It's mellow, she has a nice enough voice, and it's R&B laced froth-pop. Not as good as say, Beyonce's Irreplaceable, but good enough.


Fergie - Clumsy
Fergie has had a lot of good singles off her solo debut album this year- London Bridge, Fergalicious, Glamorous, Big Girls Don't Cry. Her newest single is super catchy, super cute, and thump-alicious. Ok, I don't even know what that means, I just made it up. She has a sense of humor, which I like.


Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day
I really didn't like their last album Meteora, so I kinda fell out of love with them. I really like this new single though. It's definitely more melodic and radio friendly than the hard-core rock stuff on the rest of the album. Even though Mike Shinoda's rapping is non-existent in this song, it's a nice change from all the screaming that goes on in most of their songs.


Wyclef Jean ft. Akon, Lil Wayne & Niia - Sweetest Girl (Dollar Bill)
I HEART Wyclef. I love the fact that he is: an artist, musician, producer, activist, Good Will Ambassador. Carnival II: Memoirs of an Immigrant is his first solo album in 10 years, and he brings other artists into the mix for this tightly produced first single. It is obviously a socially conscious album, and Sweetest Girl, with its theme of young prostitution, is no exception. The beats are kind of happy and upbeat though, which is a contrast with what the song is really about, but uh, whatever.

And of course...
Britney Spears - Piece of Me
You know me and Britney go way back. Not kidding when I say it's the best song off her Blackout album, and I'd like to venture to say that it's my favorite song of hers of all time. Even though she didn't have any part in writing the song, it's still as autobiographical as you can get. I will listen to it on repeat for days, I will hear it on the radio then play the song off the CD right after, I will literally drive everyone I know crazy with how many times I can play and still enjoy the song. The music video is coming (this one won't be self-financed/self-directed, thank you very much) and I am excited. Don't be a hater. Give it a chance. Embrace it and love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i only know the last 4 artists :(

Unknown said...

Jordin Sparks kind of looks like America Ferrera (Ugly Betty) there.

Unknown said...

eh not a fan of pop.. i mean dont hate just u knowwwwwwwww