Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spotlight: The Lonely Island

These days, the general consensus seems to be that Saturday Night Live is no longer funny. But some old habits die hard, and damnit, I love me some SNL. Sure, I admit that a good portion of the sketches baffle me, but I watch on, hoping for the show to redeem itself with either a reoccuring character (Debbie Downer or MacGruber, anyone?), or a SNL digital short. And for the most part, the SNL digital shorts do not disappoint, thanks to the lovely minds of The Lonely Island.

Mainly composed of "The Dudes," SNL cast member Andy Samberg, and SNL writers Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone are the creative minds that brought us "Lazy Sunday" and "Dick in a Box." The three all grew up in Berkley, California and met during junior high school. The trio shot a sketch-comedy show pilot for FOX called "Awesometown," only to be rejected; they then made another pilot to pitch to MTV, but was rejected once more. But upon posting their failed pilots on their website, their video clips were spread like wildfire, only to be finally noticed by SNL.

In all fairness, it's a safe bet to say that the humor of The Lonely Island isn't necessarily for everyone. Sure, "Lazy Sunday" was a popular hit, but I'm pretty sure not all people can appreciate the humor in MacGruber. I personally found punching people before they eat to be hilarious, but while watching it with a small group of people, I found myself laughing by my lonesome. Also, how many people can say that they've seen The Dudes' first feature-length film, "Hot Rod?" Cool beans!

Many might say that The Lonely Island relies on childish humor. But in a world where people are trying too hard to be funny, it's refreshing to find humor in the simplest of things. The Dudes have come a long way from their failed pilots, and keep making their low-budget videos in hopes to entertain. And it's inspiring to see that anything is possible, especially within our generation of video-recording and Youtube video-sharing. Here's to the next generation of comedy.

And in case you haven't seen "Hot Rod" yet ..


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cooooool beans.

Anonymous said...

I have not seen Hot Rod.
Maybe someday... ?
-Sang

Anonymous said...

baker's dozen!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Andy Samberg! He's so goofy =D