Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Twilight owns my life (and this blog)

Not to Twilight you all out, but... like Julia mentioned, I too, have become a pretty big Twilight fan. We like to introduce each other to stuff we can't live without- I introduced her to How I Met Your Mother/High School Musical, she introduced me to...the Twilight phenomenon. Yes, I still feel weird saying out loud, "hey, this vampire love stuff is really entertaining!" I mean how much more lamer can you get? But, folks, it SO is entertaining. And the thing is, Julia and I are far from being the only ones who are into it. Sold out mall tours, fainting fans, basically everything you would equate with like a pop act like the BSB or NSYNC in their heyday mania is... Twilight. The upcoming release of the film version of Twilight (this Friday, Nov. 21!) has got teenage (and not so teenage) girls and boys in a tizzy.

I like entertainment/pop culture facts and figures like boys like sports statistics, so let's examine the phenomenon in numbers, shall we:
* Twilight (2005), New Moon (2006), Eclipse (2007), and Breaking Dawn (2008) (the 4 books in the series) have sold over 17 million copies worldwide, in 37 countries.
* Breaking Dawn, the 4th and most recent, sold 1.3 million copies on the FIRST day of its release.
* For this weekend's film release, Fandango has already sold out almost 700 shows -- including 500 or so midnight Thursday screenings, and MovieTickets counted more than 400 sellouts of various showtimes.
* Twilight accounted for more than 85% of presales in recent days (me and Julia included, we purchased our tickets for Friday)
* Director Catherine Hardwick estimates the movie needs to make at least $150 million for the studio to consider making a sequel. Many people in the industry believe a $40 million-plus opening is a given, $50 million or more is quite possible, even $60 million is ambitious but doable.

SO, COME ON FELLOW TEENYBOPPERS, let's go show Hollywood how powerful we can be! I am confident we will be seeing a sequel. T-3!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, Well 007 wasn't so great so that helps the twilight cause.