Thursday, January 29, 2009

Current Obsession: 꽃보다 남자

For our non Korean reading/speaking viewers .. my bad.

Julia Park has officially gone to the dark side. After a 7 year ban on ALL Korean dramas, the hiatus has been broken. The culprit? KBS's 꽃보다 남자, or in horrible English translation, Boys Before Flowers/Boys Over Flowers. Yes, I hang my head low in shame, especially with a name like that. But in my defense, I JUST HAD TO watch it, since it's based off of one of my favorite all-time comic books, Hana Yori Dango by Kamio Yoko.

The series centers around 금잔디/Geum Jan Di, your typical Korean drama protaganist, who lands herself at the elite Shinhwa High School on a scholarship type. Why did such a "common" girl get accepted? Well, mainly for damage control for the school's bad rep with being too elite and with the shady high school snobs in it. And of course, there's the F4 - Flower 4 (again, super gay name). F4 is consisted of four of the school's most elite boys, who are rich, spoiled, and definitely consider them to be above the rest by faaar. Situations occur, and the main leader of F4 (구준표/Goo Joon Pyo, played by Lee Min Ho) falls for Jan Di.

Of course there's a love triangle mixed in, but it also deals with the cruel rite of passage called high school (but obviously, to the extreme), friendships, etc.

What's my favorite part of the series? Definitely the character of 구준표/Goo Joon Pyo. He's arrogant, snobby, a bully, an asshole, and he has this ugly ass wave perm going on .. but all girls love the bad boys, especially a bad boy who changes once he meets that girl (trust me girls, he'll grow on you past the first episode). I'll say it here, loud and proud: 구준표/Goo Joon Pyo FTW!

And then there's the other F4 member who Jan Di falls for: 윤지후/Yun Ji Hoo. Again, looks can be deceiving, with the super long orange hair .. but he's the foil to 구준표/Goo Joon Pyo, in terms of his mannerisms.

Things that bother me about the series? Definitely when the characters randomly throw in English. An ocassional "Oh.My.God!" and "Yo, yo, yo" makes my skin crawl, as much as the translated title of the series -_-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. This drama seems to be very popular right now.

Yuri Kim said...

oh my.