Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The September Issue

The world is still mourning the death of the greatest pop culture icon who ever lived, Michael Jackson, who I find endlessly fascinating, and who I think is the most irreplaceable figure in the world of pop culture. On a complete opposite note, another pop culture icon who I also find completely fascinating is Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour (I'm not comparing Michael Jackson to Anna Wintour in any way, btw!). Anna has been on the map for decades, but her popularity exploded in 2006 with the hit-movie The Devil Wears Prada. Based on a fictional book by the same name, it was widely speculated that Meryl Streep's character, who strikes fear in the hearts of all who work for her, is based on Anna.

She may be scary, she may be not, but she is no doubt the most influential figure in the billions dollar industry that is fashion. What she likes sells, what she doesn't like fades into obscurity. Is it good for one person to hold that much power? Probably not. But she's still super fascinating, and I can't wait for this documentary titled "The September Issue" to open. September is the most important month in fashion, and the documentary follows Wintour as she preps for the 2008 fall-fashion issue. SO EXCITING. I've never heard her talk, so this is doubly exciting for me. Oh, and I also want to know how she keeps her bob so perfect all the time, but I doubt that will be covered in the film...

0 comments: