Tuesday, November 13, 2007

iPod classic vs. iPod touch


This year for my birthday, I'm going to buy myself a new iPod. Why? Well, for someone who uses an iPod 2 hours a day almost everyday, I still own the old antiquated one, you know the one without color, video, and photo capabilities. It's all fine and dandy, but I'm currently on my 18 out of 20 gb, and what better time to buy myself something than the holidays/birthday?

So the question of the day. The iPod classic or the new iPod touch?? Either would be a huge upgrade from my current iPod (they don't even have a name for it, it's so old now). Here is the breakdown: the newly released iPod touch, is basically like an iPhone minus the ability to make calls on it. The touch screen is pretty awesome. And so is the wireless factor. The iPod touch comes in 8gb and 16gb models, which translates into about 1,750 to 3,500 songs respectively. That's actually not a lot; most people have that many songs, if not more, on their music devices. Well, I do anyway. But you can't say it's not a cool piece of machinery.

The iPod classic comes in an 80gb model, which is about 20,000 songs, and an astounding 160gb model, for those of you who know/own 40,000 songs. That is a lot. Plus it starts at $250, so that's like a lot of bang for your buck.


Who wins? I'm finding that the iPod touch is actually inferior to the iPod classic as a music player. I understand cramming those uber-cool features into a device requires making sacrifices. But shouldn't a music player not lose its music playing capabilities, no matter what the exciting new features are? Not only is the storage smaller on the iPod touch models, the battery life is considerably shorter as well. Apple probably rushed to get this on the market in time for the holidays, but as I often feel about their products, something seems missing beyond the shiny packaging and the hype that goes with their new releases. So, I'll probably get the iPod classic, but I just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone strongly agrees/disagrees with my decision. Two cents anyone?

p.s- i heart the ipod. i'm not looking to buy anything else, so you can save those suggestions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight. I was leaning towards the iPod touch because it looks cooler and has wifi capabilities.

But, you're right, the main function is a music/video player and not even the 16GB is enough for my multimedia needs. I'm getting the classic for now until the 2nd or 3rd gen iPod touch are released which should have larger capacities by then.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I agree with you about 16GB not being enough. As for me, I'm one of those people who puts a ton of videos on my iPod, having the whole Kenan and Kel series on my touch and only about 800 songs, which left me with a measly 100MB of free space.

However, I think the iPod touch is one of the most amazing devices by Apple I have ever seen. And even though you don't get much room for your music on the iPod touch, you can easily stream music on the internet using the touch's YouTube app or MP3 search engines like seeqpod.com (when you're by a WiFi connection. So there exist other ways of listening to music that couldn't fit onto your iPod touch over the internet, and I think that just about makes up for the small storage capacity.