Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Things I Own: The Sonic Alert SB200 Sonic Boom Loud Vibrating Alarm Clock

IMG_0335

How many times do I have to mention that I have trouble getting up in the morning? Well, I do, and I am constantly trying to find new ways of getting my body to cooperate with my schedule.

Anyway, my friend Steve turned me onto the Sonic Boom SB200 Sonic Boom Loud Vibrating Alarm Clock ($25.39) (What a mouth full :x). What makes it different from most alarm clocks is that along with it’s ear-peircing alarm, it has a small puck-like dongle that vibrates to wake you up.

Does it work? Find out and see more pictures after the jump....

IMG_0366

The alarm is like any other alarm clock except for a small puck (about 4 inches wide and 1 ½ inches tall) that is tethered to the clock.

You stick the puck under your pillow or bed, and when the alarm goes off, the puck vibrates like crazy. The vibration is very strong and noticeable.

If the vibration isn’t enough to wake you, the alarm also features an adjustable, mind-splittingly loud (113db) beeping alarm. You can set the alarm to either activate the vibrator, the beep, or both simultaneously.

Another convenient feature the Sonic Boom has is a battery compartment in the back that allows you to put in a 9v battery in so if your power goes out or if you unplug the alarm, the time won’t reset.

I’ve had the Sonic Boom for about a month now and have found it to be very effective. I keep it under my mattress and the vibration alone wakes me up. When I add the loud alarm, there is no way I’m oversleeping. In fact, I don’t even use the beeping alarm because it startles me awake, which then causes me to just quickly turn the alarm off and go back to sleep :x


IMG_0381

This is probably the best alarm clock I’ve ever used. However, it is not perfect.

The over 6 foot long wire that connects the puck and the clock may seem long, but I’m the kind of person who likes to put their alarm clock as far away as possible (so I have to stand up to turn it off), so the wire was a bit too short for me. Granted, they sell an extension wire for $8.89, but I don’t think it’s worth it.

Also, the puck is a bit bulky. I have a nice thin (5in) mattress, so I keep it under there. But there, I can feel a lump when I lay down. This doesn’t bother me because I’m a deep sleeper, but it may get to others. I also tried to sleep with it directly under my pillow but found that to be pretty noticeable and unbearable.

Lastly, it has a very small snooze button. Unlike most alarm clocks, the snooze button is the same size as every other button the clock. This makes it very easy for you to press “alarm off” instead of “snooze” and not really tell the difference. I don’t even use the snooze button any more because it’s so tiny.

Overall, I think the Sonic Alert SB200 Sonic Boom Loud Vibrating Alarm Clock is a great product for those who have trouble getting up in the morning. The vibration and the alarm sound are tremendously strong and not easily ignored. Aside from some design problems that can be overlooked, the clock is great.

Pros:
  • Super shaky vibrating
  • Loud alarm beeps
  • Back-up battery power
Cons:
  • Wire is a bit short
  • The puck is a little cumbersome
  • Small snooze button
Overall: A-


IMG_0348 copy copy
Size comparison

IMG_0372
You can set the brightness of the display. Under that is the volume control.

IMG_0360
Boo for small snooze buttons!

IMG_0352
The back has a the battery compartment and the wire plug-ins.

IMG_0384 copy copy
Profile view.

IMG_0376
The power brick. Not too big, not too small.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

the vibrating feature on my clock no longer works. i think its because the cord got bent so much that it got messed up.