Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What to do when your car gets towed.


I had the incredible fortune of having my worst car nightmare come true on Sunday- having my car towed. With the exception of getting into a major accident, how horrifying is it to walk out to wherever you parked your car and not see it there?? ARGH.

So for anyone who works out at the NYSC in Englewood, you know that parking is a beeyatch. You either have to pay meter parking, circle around and around for free street parking a block away, park at the ShopRite parking lot 5 blocks away (make sure you at least walk into one of the stores in the plaza to look like you're shopping in the area), or, park in the NYSC lot for a $1/hr. Whatever. If I wasn't in love with my pilates teacher (hey now, the affection is mutual), I'd totally be quitting once my contract ends in January. Anyways, so I recently found that the Goodyear parking lot directly across the street from the gym is closed at night and on Sundays. So like a lot of gym-goers, I park there sometimes. Sunday was one of those days. Except it was snowy and crappy outside, and I think they wanted to plow the lot. So, hello tow truck, bye bye car.

For those of you who've never had your car towed, good for you. Keep it up. But here are some tips for whenever/if ever this happens to you.

1. Stay calm.
Don't panic. I didn't, which really surprised me. You think clearer when you're calmer. Easier said than done, but try it.

2. Call the police station.
Towing companies don't leave nice little notes on the spot where your car used to be to tell you where to come find it. You have to do some investigating. This doesn't mean calling 911. I know, your car's gone, it's a total emergency, but authorities won't see it that way. =T
411 the police station of the town you're in, or text google (466453). The dispatcher will be able to tell you if your car is in an impound lot somewhere, or if it's been stolen. I was able to get my friend Hanna to google area towing companies and call them for me, but if you don't have a Hanna around who can do this for you, calling the police station would be your best bet.

3. Call someone you trust/love to come pick you up.
Preferably someone who won't yell at you. So like NOT your parents. I called Jorge. He was awesome enough to come pick me up, as well as drive through the entirety of Englewood to find the stupid impound lot. All in the crappiest weather of the season. This is why you have friends, people! Be good to them, and they will be good to you.

4. Get cash.
Call the lot and double check payment methods before you show up. Most towing companies won't take anything other than cold, hard cash. So make sure you find a bank/ATM, and get lots of moolah. My little experience cost me $160. So, no new ipod for me for awhile. :( Bastards.

5. Learn from your mistake.
Listen, sometimes, paying $1/hr or parking in a lot for $40 (say, in NYC) is the way to go. It's a hell of a lot better than paying hundreds of dollars later. Use your judgment.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes....that has yet to happen to me, knock on wood.

Zhivago3 said...

So like ya, like like ya.

lol

-E

Jorge J said...

anytime ma'am!

Vicki Loo said...

oh MAN...i feel your pain. I got towed outside Opus 22 and had 3 nightmares in a month. Luckily Will was there and he knew where I should go - but my nightmare cost me $300 b/c of a parking ticket on top of it. The $1 parking lot isn't SO bad...but the upstairs smells funky - I think it's cuz of the pigeon poop.

Anonymous said...

thanks dude. getting towed is a big fat middle finger. your blog helps mucho

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I just had the nicest afternoon and we walked out of my house looked across the street and his car is gone. We called the number on the sign (that wasnt there before) and got the number. I have my car and told hiim i would take him to get it. He decided to walk about 20 minutes in one direction to the bank and 40 minutes the opposite direction to get the car. & said goodbye to me like it was my fault and stormed off. Im at home sitting here trying to find out what will happen, cant call him bc his cell phone is IN his car, and being the person "at fault" for where he parked because its my house. :(

Anonymous said...

Your lucky, my little experience cost me $800.. parking in San diego is a nightmare

Anonymous said...

Get this, I've been parking in a vacant appartments spot for about 2 years now, Still no one lives their and about 10-15 different people park there throughout the week, my car got towed and to pick it up 50 mins later it cost 355$ Fml

Unknown said...

Learning from mistakes is indeed the best way to avoid them. I also understand the feeling of having your car taken away. My car was almost towed away recently. Luckily, I was able to get there just in time and solved the problem sooner.

Isabella Pospisil