Thursday, June 12, 2008

30 Things to do Before You're 30 (part 3)

20. Run a race.
This was originally supposed to be one of my goals for 08, and it sort of still is, but I'm giving myself until 30 to actually become serious about it. I'm not going to run a marathon or anything; I know me too well to try to convince myself running 26.2 miles is something I can, or want to, do. Just a simple 5K is good enough for me, and I need to start training for this, namely pounding the pavement, rather than the treadmill. But I will do this, and I expect the Life in Box-ers to come cheer me on.


19. Learn how to ride a bike.
True story, when I was little, every time my dad tried taking the training wheels off my bike, I put up such a protest (crying, screaming, kicking) that eventually he gave up. And I was secretly happy. This should tell you a couple of things about me: I like being in control, and I'm a huge scaredy cat. While it was me who was victorious that year, I have come to the conclusion that not knowing how to ride a bike at my age makes me somewhat of a non-winner. I don't really expect to be biking crazy trails or go off-roading or whatever, but I think I'm ready to give it another go, if someone's willing and patient enough to teach me. Takers?

18. Write a short story/screenplay/something.
I don't mean for this to sound like I need to be a published writer, because that's not what I care about. I mean, yes, it would be nice for someone to read my work and want to publish it for other people to read it, but really, all I want to do is to sit down, formulate a vision/plot for an interesting story, and write it out. I LOVED my screenwriting class senior year and I was actually ok at it, and if I EVER go to grad school (so highly unlikely), I would probably do it for creative writing. Alas, real life and laziness got in the way of me writing, but I'd really like to finish out a writing project to prove that I can do it.

17. Visit London.
I'm totally fascinated with the British culture, I don't know why. And I MUST visit London to satisfy this craving. I'd like to preferably go around Christmas time (very Love Actually-esque), and barring we play our financial cards right, Julia and I just might this year. Might. I cannot wait to go to the Tate Modern, and see in person one of my favorite paintings of all time: The Arnolfini Portrait.

16. Get a tattoo.
I think I need to move out of my house before I do this, but I'd like to get a small tattoo. It is going to be a star on my foot, which I heard is uber painful, but it's the only part of my body I want a tattoo on, so I'll just have to bear it. My college roommate Stella and I used to draw our tattoos on with Sharpies to see how it would look, and I thought mine was really cool. Maybe for my 25th birthday...

6 comments:

Yuri Kim said...

Running a 3k is quite an accomplishment, I hope you do it this year!

Also, I think life in boxers is a different kind of blog :P

Julia Park said...

Dude, seriously .. get out of my head! Those are totally on my list! .. well, not really running the 5K, but close enough!

Anonymous said...

haha. for a second there I thought this was Julia's post. I would love to go to Europe.. but first, I need to get myself a job.

jlc said...

oh my gosh. I seriously thought I was the only person left on the planet who did not know how to bike. Kudos for putting it out there!!

howardcwang said...

Duuuuude...I'd be totally down for at least 20 and 19 if you're down! Seriously, let me know if you want to do them. And, let's do them way before 30 (as in the next few weeks or so)!!

Zhivago3 said...

Yeah Tats before 30!!!!!!!!!!