Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Name Game

Growing up in a Korean-dominated area, I abhorred meeting a new girl who was named Julia Park. You'd think that Korean parents would at least venture out the box with names, but sadly, even looking through my cellphone's list of contacts saddens me, especially when it takes me 10 minutes to go through a seemingly endless list of "John Lee's/Kim's/Park's" or "Hanna Lee's/Kim's/Park's." You better bet your bottom dollar that none of my sons will be named John, James, Sam.

But turns out that having the same name as others isn't as bad as having a completely weird, uncommon name (or sharing a name with a popular product):
Family Court Judge Rob Murfitt listed a series of unusual names that New Zealand parents had given their children, and said he was concerned that such strange monikers would create hurdles for them as they grew up. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap," the New Zealand Press Association quoted the judge as saying. Among the names Murfitt cited: twins named Benson and Hedges -- after a brand of cigarettes; Violence; and Number 16 Bus Shelter. Some parents had named children after six-cylinder Ford cars, the news agency reported. (from cnn.com)

And this story stems from a New Zealand judge's ruling that a nine year old girl named "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii" be a ward of the court.

Personally, I think I'd name my children after favorite characters in books, rather than a random favorite product..

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that really her name?

I too was a victim of social outcast because of my name. . . . or was it something else?