Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Road to the Oscars 2010!

This morning the lovely Anne Hathaway woke up super early to announce the 2010 Academy Award nominations, and while I cannot say I am surprised at most of the nominations, there were some things that made me go hmmm... I'm gonna do my predictions closer to the Mar.7 ceremony, but for now, here are my quick snap judgments on the nominees:

* Best picture
In an effort to include more mainstream (and popular) movies as well as the usual critically-acclaimed fare, the Academy nominated 10 movies for Best Picture this year. I think most of the movies (9 out of 10) are what was expected, but I am super surprised that The Blind Side was nominated. I love the movie, I love Sandra Bullock, but to me it isn't really a Best Picture nominee worthy movie. But, who am I to say, it has made a ridonkulous amount of money at the box office. I do wish the spot it took up had gone to The Hangover (my favorite movie of last year) or (500) Days of Summer instead.

* Best Actress/Supporting Actress
Given the amount of awards she has won this season, the Oscar is Sandra Bullock's to lose. Unfortunately, that is exactly what will happen. I LOVE HER, but I'm pretty sure her winning the big one (especially over veteran Meryl Streep) is slim to none. But, I don't know, The Blind Side did receive a Best Picture nod, so it is clear that the Academy does support her movie. In the Best Supporting Actress category, Maggie Gyllenhall's nomination for Crazy Heart comes as a big surprise since she's been shut out of nominations for all of the other award shows leading up to the Oscars. It doesn't matter however, Mo'nique will totally win this category hands down.

*Where the Wild Things Are
On a more personal note, I cannot believe Spike Jones's amazing Where the Wild Things Are was completely shut out of every category. Did I expect it to land any of the major nominations (director, picture, acting, screenplay)? No. But honestly even nothing in the technical awards such as costumes? Visual effects? Nothing?? So disappointing. It is a beautiful, beautiful movie, folks!!

0 comments: