Wednesday, July 30, 2008

[Mixtape] Summer Songs '08

No doubt about it, THE Summer Song of 2007 was Rihanna's ubiquitous Umbrella (ella ella eh eh), and so the race is on for the title of Summer Song of 2008. Based on word-of-mouth, chart rankings, and radio play, I'd have to reluctantly give my vote to Zooey Deschanel look-alike Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl. It's currently sitting pretty at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 Charts. Ughhh. I hate this song, and unfortunately for me, it's EVERYWHERE. Which makes it the new Umbrella. I just don't like 12 year old girls singing "I kissed a girl, and I liked it..."



Well there you have it. But here are my other contenders for Summer 08 songs, in no particular order. Which gets your vote?

Estelle ft. Kanye West - American Boy
I wrote about this song in my mixtape awhile back, and I'd like for it to catch on with the rest of America as it has with...me. Super catchy, features Kanye, what's not to like? If you're lucky enough to go see Kanye (ahem Yuri and Julia), sometimes he'll play this during his set, and will be like 'fast forward to my part!!' Oh Kanye, only you can take a song that's technically not yours and make it all about you.

Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
The song has been on the charts for 23 weeks, and is still in the top 10. Did you know that the song was written by Ryan Tedder (the singer of OneRepublic) AND Jesse McCartney?? This song became the best selling single in the UK in 2007, and has continued to enjoy success all over the world, including the US. I love how emotionally-fueled it is for a pop song, it's definitely something old-school Mariah would've sung.

Jonas Brothers - Burnin' Up
The band and this song have been burnin up (I'm SO funny and clever!!) the charts, with credit going to the boys' heavy presence in the media, including a Rolling Stone cover, going on tour with Miley Cyrus, and their successful starring roles in Disney's Camp Rock. It has a very Maroon 5 sound to it, in my opinion.

New Kids on the Block - Summertime
Hello, comeback of the decade! While the song isn't like a HUGE HIT (peak on Billboard: #36), it's like the definition of a summery, poppy song. The video makes me laugh cause they're all acting like 18 year old boys, frolicking on the beach and doing the boy band moves, but many of the members are definitely pushing 40 in age.

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
This is Coldplay's biggest hit of their career, their first single to hit #1 on US and UK charts. Of course it helps when Apple chooses your song to sell their products. The song's success has also been marred by plagiarism accusations, but those allegations have since been dropped. One of my favorites ever.

Jesse McCartney - Leavin
Probably his biggest hit yet, peaking at the charts at #10. I know I'm not the only person to like him, or like this song. Interesting tidbit via Wikipedia: "The line 'Just tell him to the left left left' may be in reference to singer Beyonce's Irreplaceable. In her song, Beyonce is suggesting that her significant other take his belongings 'to the left'. In his song, Jesse is suggesting to a newfound lady that she send her current boyfriend 'to the left left left'." Sighhh, Jesse, you're cute.

4 comments:

Julia Park said...

My vote goes to Jesse McCartney - Leavin'. It has SUMMER SONG written all over it.

Not really a fan of Katy Perry's song, though I love the fact that she's dating Travis from GCH :P

Anonymous said...

Hadn't really thought of it as a summer song for '08, but I'd vote for Viva La Vida. Maybe Bleeding Love for a close second.

I Kissed A Girl just had so many things going against it for me. Repetitive and emotionally empty/phony. Might have been cool 15 years ago, but kissing a girl is so cliche now.

There is one interesting aspect to the song and that's how it seems to get people talking about their girl-on-girl experiences.

Stella Hsu said...

Adam and I still roll our eyes and laugh when we hear the Pussycat Doll's, "When I Grow Up," thinking to ourselves, "I can't believe this terrible song was Jen's original pick as the song of Summer 2008..."

Anonymous said...

I vote for Cold Play and Jesse as a close second. I wouldn't consider bleeding love to be a summer song.