Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Movie I want to watch: Veronika Decides to Die



Like Julia, I really like romantic comedies. I also really like movie adaptations of books. I know movie adaptations can be hit or miss, but I like to think that they start off better than your average movie, just cause no one is going to try to make a movie out of a bad book. So you at least have a good story as the foundation, even if the execution of it falls apart. There are several movie adaptations of books that I actually like better than the book itself, Bridget Jones's Diary being one of them, so I normally have high hopes for books-turned-into-films.

Well, I've been intrigued by the plot of this book since I stumbled upon it a couple of months ago, and though I still haven't gotten around to reading this Paul Coelho's book (or the supposedly AWESOME The Alchemist for that matter), I was super excited when I heard it was going to be made into a movie starring the talented Sarah Michelle Gellar. Veronika Decides to Die is about a 24 year old woman (Gellar) who seems to have everything but the will to live. So she decides to off herself, only to wake up in a mental institution, with the news that her botched suicide attempt has left her with a damaged heart and only days to survive. In this time she discovers a newfound will to live, and well, you know the rest of the movie/book is about that journey. Sounds interesting, yes? Veronika Decides to Die will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January. From there hopefully it'll find a distributor so that the rest of the world can see it.

Oh, and bonus points for using the awesome Foo Fighters song Stranger Things Have Happened. Well done, trailer people!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

the video wasn't taken out! I havn't seen Buffy in awhile, hope it does well.