Friday, February 6, 2009

25 Random Things

You've all seen it, written it, and talked about it by now. 25 Random Things About Me. This "phenomenon" has been spreading like WILDFIRE on the wonderful world of facebook, and it's even caught the eye of the NYTimes, who did an article on it. The rules are simple. Come up with 25 random things about yourself, and "tag"/send to 25 people who you think will want to read it. They read it, and learn more about you, and then they go and write their own 25 list. Simple enough, right?

This is like a re-emergence of a many chain letters back in the day, but I don't think I've ever seen anything take off in the way this 25 random things has. Facebook reports that over 5 million notes have been created last week alone, most of it having to do with this list. So what is it about this particular thing that has people writing in droves? I normally hate things like this, but after reading and being tagged by a couple of people, I found it really entertaining to read about people's quirks. Yes, it takes away from having a face-to-face convo with someone and learning about their interesting (or not so interesting) personality in person, but isn't that what facebook and the Internet is about anyway? Personal from a distance? Honestly, there is something fun about this exercise in self-evaluation, sitting down and really thinking about what you are willing to let people know about yourself. I for one, had a really hard time coming up with my 25, just cause I wanted to be entertaining for the audience but not too TMI, informative and interesting without sounding like I'm da' bomb in any way.

Simply put, there is no way this list is a be-all, end-all description of who anyone is as a person. But it's been fun exploring, both other people's facts and coming up with mine. For those of you who are not lucky enough to be my facebook friend, here is my 25 list:

1) I always feel so un-Korean saying this, but I don't like Korean food. I don't hate it, but it's never my first choice, and I wouldn't be sad if I never ate it again.

2) I'm obsessed with managing my iTunes collection. I update on a constant basis and I spend more time on it than I care to admit. When I see other people's collections with tons of "Track 1"s and "Unknown album"s, a part of me dies inside.

3) I am the biggest Britney Spears fan you will ever meet. To me she is like a phoenix, just when you think she's down and out, she rises victoriously from the ashes.

4) When people ask me if I prefer to be called Jen or Jennifer, I always say I have no preference. This is not true. It's weird when people call me Jennifer, cause no one ever calls me that. So, I don't really know why I say I don't care, when I clearly do...

5) I'm a late bloomer: I learned how to ride a bike last year, I took swim classes in college. But not being able to touch the ground with my feet freaks me out, so you will not find me in the deep end of the pool/ocean.

6) I love TV. I wish I had a multi-room DVR so I can watch my shows from any room. I wish I had multiple DVRs, actually. Well, no, I wish I had more hours to watch TV.

7) To borrow the words of one wise Carrie Bradshaw, "When I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I would buy Vogue instead of dinner. I felt it fed me more." I can think of a million and one things I'd rather spend my money on than food.

8) I am extremely ticklish, and I don't like getting massages because of this. I am tense the whole time because I am trying not to laugh, so it kind of negates the whole relaxation aspect of it.

9) I hate all things academia- I hate sitting in classrooms discussing stuff (how did I get through all my Eng lit classes??), I hate studying, I hate textbooks, etc. I never want to go back to school again. Despite all of this, I was a pretty good student.

10) I give any book/movie a shelf life of about 6 months in my brain. Any longer than that and I forget everything that happened.

11) I RARELY buy things full price (clothes wise). I love sales, I shop sales, I talk sales.

12) I like nature as much as the next person, but I am not moved by it. My mom got so mad at me once cause I was unfazed by the Grand Canyon (I KNOW ITS AMAZING, OK?). Conversely, cityscapes make my heart swell. I could've stood in front of the glittery Eiffel Tower for hours.

13) I like dirty jokes, and I LOOOOVE a well done "thats what she said".

14) My dad calls me "chico." I've told him a many times that it means "boy" and that he should call me "chica" if he really feels the need to give me a nickname. He has yet to heed my advice.

15) My celebrity crushes are all white- Michael Vartan, Colin Firth, John Krasinski, Robert Pattinson. In real life I am only attracted to Asian guys.

16) I love celebrity sightings. I get tingly when I see someone famous, whether I like them or not. My latest sighting was Tracy Morgan. He looked like he wanted to shoot someone- ie, me.

17) I curse more on Sundays than any other day it seems like. Ironically, this is because I am usually running late to church and am cursing out every red light and slow driver in my way. I know, this is really bad.

18) No matter how long it takes me to type out, I REFUSE to text or chat using text/chat words. "u" "ur" "lol" "r" "4" "2" are just not in my vocabulary. I write pretty much exactly the same way I talk.

19) I will judge you if you don't wash your hands after using the potty. That's just gross.

20) I HEART J.Crew. I have a J.Crew credit card. I think I go to J.Crew once a week. I went to a sample sale recently and was HORRIFIED to realize that most of the items looked like something I already own. Must.cut.back.

21) I once had a dream that I was in a subway station and it blew up. The explosion jolted me awake, and the whole thing felt so real that I was convinced I was going to die the same way. I still get nervous when the subway stops in the tunnel for a long time.

22) I have a problem swallowing pills. I can't take vitamins because of this reason (gummy vites are like da bomb anyway, so whatever). I also think I am going to die choking on a pill. =P

23) I have to fall sleep within 5 minutes after my last bathroom trip, or else my body thinks that I have to pee again, and I can't stop thinking about it until I actually get up to go do it. THIS IS SO ANNOYING.

24) Unless I am super exhausted, I will naturally wake up before my alarm clock in the morning. For no other reason than that I hate being jarred awake by the alarm.

25) I am perpetually running 5-10 minutes behind no matter how hard I try not to. If I say to meet me at 1:00, you can bet I'll be there at 1:08. Ish.

0 comments: