Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Review: Cuban Eddie's

Restaurant Name: Cuban Eddie’s
Cuisine: Cuban
Location: Dumont
Price Range
: 4.50 – 8.99
Info:
130 West Shore Ave.

Dumont NJ
07628
(201)338-2382
Website
Map

I realize that you may be sick of food and near ready to develop an eating disorder, but it’s not like you’re going to stop eating, right? So I offer you a review of a pretty decent, and definitely inexpensive Cuban restaurant.

Before I start with that, I have to explain why I went to a Cuban restaurant to begin with. During the summer, I went to Miami Beach and I ate, like, the best Cuban food ever. And what’s crazier is that the food was cheap. I’m talking chicken, rice, beans, and sweet plantains for $8 cheap. And ever since I came back to Jersey, I’ve been craving some Miami Beach eats. So I’m on a journey to find a place that will lead my tongue back to riding mopeds, warm beaches, and delicious food.

My first stop was Cuban Eddie’s in Dumont. This place isn’t so much a restaurant as it is a takeout counter. Sure, they offer seating, but generally, there is no atmosphere to speak of. You’ll be going there to grab some food and enjoy it at home...

However, what Cuban Eddie’s lack of décor is made up in ridiculously cheap food. They offer daily lunch specials for $4.50 that include a protein (Cuban ground beef / roasted chicken / beef stew with potatoes / or roast pork), rice and beans, and a can a soda. The serving size is not small either; it’s enough to make you full / satisfied.

They also offer daily dinner specials which are similar, but come in larger portions (rice and beans in one dish, meats in the other), and for $3-$4 more.

Of course, at prices like these, you shouldn’t expect 5 star cooking. Not to say that the food was bad. In fact, it was much better than what I expected for $4.50 - $8.50. All I’m saying is that it’s no Miami Beach. The food is satisfactory overall and good when you consider how much you’re paying for it.

I’ve gone there twice and have tried the roasted chicken, Cuban ground beef, and chicken stew. I thought the roasted chicken and Cuban ground beef fell a bit on the dry side, but the chicken stew was very delicious.

I also ordered a side of sweet plantains, and I would recommend that no one else ever do so. They were dry and rubbery. I would even say that they taste better when they come from those bourbon chicken places at the mall.

Their rice and beans were good and really helps bring the meal together.

Overall, Cuban Eddie’s is a great place to get some cheap, filling, and pretty good tasting Cuban food. And you can’t really complain about that.

Atmosphere: NA (It's more of a takeout place than a restaurant)
Food: B
Service: B
Overall Rating: B+

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've tried this place before. Definitely no good for plantains. I thought their chicken and flan was decent. I've been meaning to try out their rice pudding - I love me some rice pudding.