Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Body piercings are infectious...


and like not in a good way. In what might be a DUH entry, the NY Times blogged about the complications of body piercings, and how 25% of body piercings in places other than the ear lead to infections, swelling, bleeding, and even hospital admission in extreme cases. Researchers said that the growing popularity of body piercings could “place a significant burden on health services for many years,” which I find to be a stretch of a statement, but hey, who am I to argue with data.

On a related note, I think our readers have been enjoying our attempts at "30 things to do before 30" posts (here are: Jorge's, Yuri's, Mine, Julia's). I didn't mention in mine that THE one thing I wanted to do before 30 (heck, before 16 if my mom had let me) was get a belly piercing. Well, I did end up doing it the summer of my junior year in college, and I LOVED it. A couple of months later though, it got infected and eventually closed up, but what's worse is that it left a raised scar in its place. Which, if I want to get rid of, I'll have to get some type of steroid injections directly on it for like 6 months or something crazy painful like that. Um, I think I can live with the scar.

But when that first happened, I cried. A lot. My roommate at the time, Stella, could tell you, I was kinda inconsolable about it. The very first thing on my 30 before 30 to do list that I actually managed to do, and the thing turned out to be a failure. I still get sad when I see all these hoochie mamas and their belly piercings, oh how I wish to be one!! But uh, I guess this study makes me feel a tad better? That I'm not the only one who suffered in the name of body piercing? Or not, whatever. Now onto my next venture, I'm getting a nose piercing (NOT a ring!!) someday. Because, you know, I never learn from my mistakes. =P

3 comments:

Stella Hsu said...

People are always surprised to find out that I have no ear piercings. In actuality, I've had my ears pierced at least three times, from what I can remember; however, the last two times I had my ears pierced was when I was in the sixth grade-ish - a time when Claires and cheapo cutesy earrings were the best.

In such a case, being irresponsible and not caring that I am allergic to non-metals, I of course had continuous infection problems with my ears.

Too bad. At least, I suppose, I'm saving money by not buying super cute earrings...

jlc said...

Mine did too!!

And now I am left with the scar. Oh wellz. Both you and I shall never BE one of the hoochie mama's out there. Just wasn't meant to be.

Anonymous said...

Hmm well I never thought any other piercings besides the ear was very appealing, and that's if they had one piercing. Not really sure why.